News Archive - 2007
News Archive - 2007
- If you haven't heard about the catastrophic fire that destroyed the clubhouse on 20th August, read this report in the Shropshire Star (no longer available).
- All members should be getting a letter from the secretary asking them to watch the local press for information about forthcoming meetings and functions.
- Bylet failed in their bid to win the Harris Cup when they narrowly lost a closely fought final against St Georges.
- Bylet A clinched the Highley League 1st Division with an 8-2 home victory over Abbey. Captain Scott Harries claimed the point which assured them of the title.
- Dave Elliott won the Mens Challenge Cup and Georgina Marsh the Hickman Cup.
- The Bylet Charity competition at Donnington Wood has been won by Chris (Pellet) Worthington who beat Simon Rhodes 21-15 in the final. The consolation trophy was an all Bylet affair, won by Roger (Cluster) Jones who beat Kev (Slice) Brazier 21-13. The competition raised a fantastic £1155 for the rebuilding fund.
- Bylet A reached the final of the Highley League knockout with a convincing 62 shot victory (42 with the handicap) over Cleobury at Bridgnorth.
- Terry Field has been observed 'tucking into' a considerable quantity of bread & cheese in the legion. When asked if it was likely to cause him to have nightmares, one of his mates replied 'only if he thought there was none left'!
- As reported in the Bridgnorth Journal on Friday 21st September, Bridgnorth Town Council has voted to donate £2000 to the rebuilding fund.
- Bylet beat Ifton 10-4 in the last premier league match of 2007 to finish 4 points above Newport at the bottom of the table. Newport will now have to compete in a play-off to retain their premier status.
- The Dudley Building Society A side completed their 2007 league programme with a closely fought match with Victoria Park B at home. Bylet only had 5 winners but with 5 losers all getting at least 18, Bylet won the shots by 17. This result ensures Bylet of Division 1 status next year.
- Bylet D won the Highley League Division 2 Knockout Cup by beating Much Wenlock in the final at Chelmarsh. If anybody has the full details and photographs, please let the editor know.
- Bylet A completed the double of the Highley League first division and the Knockout Cup when they beat Abbey by 5 shots at White Horse on Saturday 29th September. That concludes the bowling entertainment for the 2007 season.
- Tony Moore organised the first skittles night at the Shakespeare on Thursday 1st November.
- The club was well represented at the Highley League Annual Presentation Evening at Broseley Social Club on Friday 16th November. Many thanks to Madeley Cricket Club and Graham & Russell Morris who donated their winnings to the club rebuilding fund .
- A collection in memory of Dave Garbett has raised over £700 for the club and has brought the rebuilding fund to £10,000. Captain Tom McGill said the fundraising effort so far had been "marvellous" and called for everyone to push on to reach the target of £30,000.
- Ray Drew was in good form (jammed up some would say!) and won the Grand Domino Competition on Saturday 21st December by beating Mark Blore in the final. 'Drewy' donated his £50 to the Bylet fund, thanks Ray!
- BBC presenter Adrian Chiles has donated a copy of his latest book to help with fundraising. See the Baggies Corner.