News Archive 2020
Friday Bowling - OK to Continue
The BCGBA have confirmed that the phase 3 guidance isn't affected by the change in legislation which comes into effect on Monday 14th September so we can continue to hold our Friday night singles competition.
Reopening the Club
The club will reopen on Saturday 4th July at 7pm. There will be a bingo session starting at 8.30pm. Appropriate social distancing measures will be followed.
While the current restrictions are in place, we will open on Friday and Saturday evenings only. This policy will be reviewed on a regular basis.
With six players now allowed on each green, we will be organising an in club singles competition on Friday evenings. 6.45pm scratch, 7pm start. Format to be determined depending on entries.
Remember that your support is vital to the financial viability of the club, use it or lose it!
Please note that you must have paid your subscription before you will be allowed to bowl.1 Jul 2020 by John Palmer
No League Bowling This Season
We have now had official confirmation from the Premier, Mid-Shropshire, Mid-Shropshire Senior Citizens and the Telford Ladies Leagues that there will be no league bowling this season. I fully expect the Highley League to follow suit. The Mid-Shropshire League are still hoping that there may be a chance to play some of their competitions but this will depend on advice given by the BCGBA. Keep an eye on the league websites for more information. (All can be accessed from the Links tab above).15 Jun 2020 by John Palmer
Both executive proposals were approved unanimously:
- That the post of Club President would revert to an honorary role.
- That bowling subscriptions would be raised by £10 to £49 (£51 including the SCGBA registration fee).
Honorary President: Terry Hawkins
Club Captain: Rob Renke
Secretary: John Palmer
Treasurer & Bar Secretary: Pete Driver
Fiona Hammond, Terry Hammond, Kath Driver,Geoff Carnell, Margaret Blankstone, Peter Hayne & Cathy Warner.17 Feb 2020 by John Palmer
Team Captains - Update
Unfortunately, Ken Jenkins has indicated that he won't be bowling for the club in the forthcoming season and consequently won't be captaining Islanders B. John Palmer will run the team instead.
Pete Driver has agreed to run the Islanders C team in the Highley League division 2.9 Feb 2020 by John Palmer
An early pre-season bowling meeting was held at the club on Monday 27th January, attended by over 50 members. The main discussion points were:
- That there was insufficient support for bowling in the Wolverhampton & South Staffs League on a Saturday so regrettably, we've had to withdraw our team.
- Whether we can run four teams (two in Div 1 & two in Div 2 subject to league approval) or only three teams in the Highley League. This is yet to be resolved.
- In order to resolve player registration issues in the Results Service, the Highley League teams will all be called Islanders (A, B, C and possibly D). Approved.
The majority of team captains were elected as follows
Shropshire Premier - Scott Harries
Mid-Shropshire Division 1 - Ian Hopson
Mid-Shropshire Division 2 - TBA
Mid-Shropshire Division 5 - Mick Corfield
Telford Ladies - Fiona Hammond
Highley Division 1 Islanders A - Simon Rhodes
Highley Division 1 Islanders B - John Palmer
Highley Division 2 Islanders C - ?
Highley Division 2 Islanders D - Fiona Hammond
Mid-Shropshire Seniors Division 1 Bylet A -Pete Driver
Mid-Shropshire Seniors Division 1 Bylet B - Geoff Carnell
Mid-Shropshire Seniors Division 4 Bylet C - Rob Hodson9 Feb 2020 by John Palmer
Greens Open for Practice
We're pleased to announce that following updated guidelines the greens will be opened for practice from tomorrow. However, please familiarise yourself with the BCGBA guidelines before playing.
The following restrictions will apply:
- You must not enter the clubhouse, even to use the toilet facilities.
- Greens will be open from 10am until 9pm - no floodlights (sorry).
- Four jacks maximum on each green.
- If other members are waiting to play, please limit your session to one hour.
- Please log your visit in the book provided in the George Eddowes pavilion.
- The George Eddowes pavilion will be open and there will be 8 practice mats and jacks. If you have your own, that would be preferable. Sanitizer and paper towels will be provided. If you use the club's equipment, please clean it before and after use.
Due to the curtailed season with limited prospect of league bowling, we've decided to reduce subscriptions to £30 although you are quite welcome to pay the full price if you wish. This will not include the £2 SCGBA fee which will only be payable if there's any league bowling. Please post your subs (preferably by cheque) in the box attached to the gate on the bridge together with your name. Pete will empty this daily and will leave your membership card in the George Eddowes pavilion.
Note that this concession could be removed by the BCGBA at any time. As they say: STAY ALERT - CONTROL THE VIRUS - SAVE LIVES (so make really sure that you stay alert!)12 May 2020 by John Palmer
Club Closed Until Further Notice
Following yesterday's advice from the government asking everyone to avoid clubs and social gatherings, the officers have taken the difficult decision to close the club until further notice. This action is taken with great regret but the safety of our members is our main concern.
The weekly bonus ball will be frozen after this Saturday's draw. It will recommence when the club reopens.
To those of you yet to pay your subscription, we will not be collecting any more until the club reopens and will decide at that point how much it will be.
All dominoes, darts and the weekly bingo are cancelled.
We are going to take this opportunity to complete the reseeding of the poor areas on the No.1 green so it will not open but will still be cut regularly. Once it has dried out, the No.2 green will be open for anyone who wants to get in a bit of practice.
Please keep an eye on the web site for further announcements.17 Mar 2020 by John Palmer